Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz will celebrate the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Dec. 12 at two locations. One service will begin at 5 a.m. at St. Edward Church, 9608 Sue Helen Drive; a second will begin at 6:15 p.m. at St. Helen Church in Glasgow, Ky.
St. Edward will host a gathering after the early morning Mass, where Mexican bread and drinks will be served.
The celebration at St. Helen began today, Dec. 3, with a novena. The novena will end with an 11:30 p.m. service at the church on Dec. 11. Our Lady of Guadalupe is also known as the Virgin of Guadalupe and is the patroness of Mexico.
Other parishes throughout the Archdiocese of Louisville also are planning celebrations. They include:
- St. Peter the Apostle Church, 5431 Johnsontown Road — Mañanitas will be held at 5 a.m. Dec. 12 in the St. Andrew Academy auditorium, 7724 Columbine Drive, followed by a gathering. Mass will be celebrated at 6:30 p.m. followed by a play about the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe and a gathering.
- Immaculate Conception Church, La Grange, Ky. —The rosary will be prayed at 4:45 a.m. Dec. 12, followed by Mañanitas at 5:30 a.m. and Mass at 6 a.m. followed by a gathering. A festival will be held Dec. 13 after the 12:30 p.m. Mass.
- The Church of the Annunciation in Shelbyville, Ky. — Mañanitas will be held at 5:30 a.m. Dec. 12 and Mass will be at 12:30 p.m., followed by a gathering.
- St. Rita Church, 8709 Preston Highway — The rosary will be prayed at 6:15 p.m. Dec. 9, followed by Mass in honor of St. Juan Diego at 7 p.m. Three Masses will be celebrated Dec. 12 starting at 12 a.m., followed by a prayer service leading up to the 5 a.m. Mass. The final Mass of the day will be at 7:30 p.m., followed by a reception in the gymnasium.
Due to Saturday evening Mass, between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. the church will not be open to those wishing to bring flowers to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
- Holy Name Church, 2914 S. Third St. — Mass will be celebrated at 11 p.m. Dec. 11. Mañanitas will be held at 12 a.m. Dec. 12.
- Christ the King Church in Tompkinsville, Ky. — Mass will be celebrated at 6 p.m. Dec. 12.
- St. James Church in Elizabethtown, Ky. — Mass will be celebrated at 10 p.m. Dec. 11, followed by Mañanitas.
- St. Dominic Church in Springfield, Ky. — Mañanitas will be held at 5 a.m., followed by Mass at 5:30 a.m.
- St. Bartholomew Church, 2042 Buechel Bank Road — An Our Lady of Guadalupe novena will begin at 7 p.m. today, Dec. 3, and continue through Dec. 11. Mañanitas will be held at 5 a.m. Dec. 12. Mass will be at 6 p.m. Dec. 12 and will include a consecration of the children to Mary.
- St. Bernard Church, Clementsville, Ky. — A procession with the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe Dec. 12 before the 6 p.m. Mass. A gathering will follow.