The Catholic Committee on Scouting honored more than 200 scouts and adult leaders Jan. 25 during its 69th annual Prayer Service and Emblem Presentation at the Cathedral of the Assumption. Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz and Father Jeff Gatlin, chaplain for the committee, presided at the service.
Awards were presented to the following.
- Three adult leaders received the Bronze Pelican Emblem for outstanding contributions to the Archdiocese of Louisville Catholic Committee on Scouting and Catholic Scouting.
They are Perry Adams, Jarrod Pierce and Robert Wuetcher.
- Five adults received the St. George Emblem for outstanding contributions to Catholic Scouting.
They are: Father William Burks, pastor of St. Pius X Church; Father Jeff Gatlin, pastor of Most Blessed Sacrament and Sts. Simon and Jude churches; Dr. Charles Pemberton of St. Gabriel Church; Thomas Shannon of St. Patrick Church and James Webb of St. Agnes Church.
- Eight units received the National Quality Unit Award, Pope Paul VI Recognition: Troop 243 of St. Barnabas Church, Troop 308 of St. Bernadette Church; Troop 327 and Pack 327 of St. Albert the Great Church, Troop 306 of St. Margaret Mary Church, and Troop 366, Pack 366 and Crew 366 of St. Athanasius Church.
- Twelve scouts were recognized for receiving all four Catholic religious emblems — Light of Christ, Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius XII. They are: Zach Graas, Philip Sandman, Jacob Sheff and Jarod Sheff of Troop 327 at St. Albert the Great; Jacob Dvorjak, Michael Quire, Dylan Mahanna and Franklin Stoakan of Troop 233 at St. James Church in Elizabethtown, Ky.; Cameron Luker of Troop 308 at St. Bernadette Church; Zach Sheehy of Troop 243 at St. Barnabas; Christopher Early of Troop 243 at St. Pius X; Nicholas Craven of Troop 243 at St. Gabriel.
- The Pope Pius XII Emblem for high school age was presented to Boy Scouts in the following units:
Troop 233, Memorial United Methodist Church and St. James Church in Elizabethtown, Ky. — Brady Crawford, Reilly Crawford, Jacob Dvorjak, Michael Kotarski of St. Brigid, Dylan Mahanna, Michael Quire, Patrick Quire, Franklin Stokan and Christopher Wheatley, Jr.
Troop 243, St. Barnabas Church — Nicholas Craven of St. Gabriel, Christopher Early of St. Pius, Corben Hartlage and Zach Sheehy.
Troop 308, St. Bernadette — Fernando Abril and Cameron Luker.
Troop 327, St. Albert the Great — Zack Graas of St. Patrick Church.
- Twenty-nine scouts received Ad Altare Dei Awards:
Troop 4010, St. Anthony Church, Clarksville, Ind., and St. Martin of Tours Church — Michael Bremer
Troop 42, St. Raphael Church — Jake Bonafede, Andrew Eisert, Zachary Schneider and William Twyman.
Troop 306, St. Margaret Mary Church — Connor Burke, Charles Thegreat, J.D. Wentzel.
Troop 308, St. Bernadette — Sebastian Abril, Nicholas Castelluzzo, Eddie Stakelum, Matthew Whalen and Cameron Wuest.
Troop 319, Holy Spirit Church — Cole Becherer, Tate Becherer, Oxford Dilger, Carl Grief, Vincent Ricketts and John Roberts.
Troop 327, St. Albert the Great — Patrick Harper, Alexander Hasty, Christopher Hasty, Philip Sandman, Jacob Sheff, Jarod Sheff and Jordan Sheff.
Troop 380, St. Patrick — William Baughman, Connor Edelen and Justin Kros.
- In addition, 50 Cub Scouts received the Parvuli Dei (Children of God emblem) and 76 Cub Scouts received the Light of Christ emblem.