Sacred Heart holds annual
alumna awards celebration
By JESSICA ABLE
Record Staff Writer
Sacred Heart Academy will honor Dr. Marissa Howard-McNatt, a 1987 graduate, as the 2012 Alumna of the Year at the school’s 22nd annual Alumnae Awards Celebration on Feb. 15.
In addition, the Alumnae Association will announce that Carl Hafele, Sherry Lerme and Joan and Fabian Lipp are the Heart Award winners. Also, the late Jenna Cooper, a 2001 graduate; Kim Brown Knopf, a 1977 graduate; Mary Elizabeth McAuliffe, a 1964 graduate and Scott Miller, former SHA swim coach, will be inducted into the Valkyrie Athletic Hall of Fame.
An SHA Honorary Diploma will be awarded to Dr. Beverly McAuliffe, principal of SHA, who plans to retire at the end of this school year.
Additionally, Kathleen Wagner, a 1967 graduate will receive the Ursuline Teaching Legacy Award.
- Dr. Marissa Howard-McNatt was named director of the Breast Care Center at Wake Forest Baptist Health in October 2011. She is also an assistant professor of surgery.
- Since 2007, Carl Hafele has served on the Sacred Heart Schools Board of Trustees. He is the father of Carly and Ali (2008), Jackie and Nikki (2010), and Madeline Campbell (2011).
- Sherry Lerme, a current parent, volunteers at SHA by hosting Teacher Appreciation lunches. Lerme also volunteers in the SHA Campus Store, helping with sales and inventory. Lerme’s daughter, Brianna, is a senior at SHA.
- Joan and Fabian Lipp prepare DVDs for the students at no charge, assisted with planning and implementation of a school trip to Rome in 2011 and are willing to help when and where needed. Joan Lipp also serves as the Parent Association Special Events Coordinator.
- Jenna Cooper (deceased) was the first student to score a goal in Sacred Heart Model School field hockey history.
- Kim Brown Knopf was a member of the team that brought home the first basketball state championship trophy for SHA.
- Mary McAuliffe spent 19 years employed in the U.S. Senate, which included serving as a senior staff member of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.
- Scott Miller coached for SHA from 1999-2006, during which time his team won four state titles. In 2006, Miller was named Kentucky Coach of the Year.
- Dr. Beverly McAuliffe has been the principal at Sacred Heart Academy for 11 years. Under her leadership, enrollment has increased more than 10 percent.
- Kathleen Wagner is an active volunteer and advocate for children. She also initiated the Quick Recall program and the Catholic School Book Bee at the school.
The Alumnae Awards Celebration is open to the public, and reservations may be made by calling 896-8681. Dinner tickets are $25 per person. Children age 4-12 are $12.50 and children 3 and younger are free. The evening will include dinner, a cash bar and award ceremony.