Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz and Father Terry Bradshaw, pastor of St. Bernadette parish, will dedicate the new church building at 6516 St. Bernadette Avenue at 3 p.m. April 21.
The new church is designed to seat 1,200 with the capability of seating another 300 people in its narthex. The 31,000-square-foot church also includes three meeting rooms, a day chapel that seats 70, a kitchenette, a nursery and a bell tower.
The church, located on the northern side of the Norton Commons community, features a geothermal heating and air conditioning system.
Marble from the former St. Vincent de Paul Church on Shelby St., was used for all church furnishings, along with two statues and the Stations of the Cross. The new church’s bell is from the former St. John Church on Jackson St.
Open houses with a guided tour will also be held April 27 from 9 a.m. to noon; on April 28 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.; and on April 28 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
St. Bernadette parish was founded in 2008 from the merger of the former Mother of Good Counsel and Transfiguration of Our Lord parishes. A regional school, St. Mary Academy, shares property with St. Bernadette Church. Since 2009, parishioners have been worshipping in the school’s gymnasium.
St. Bernadette Church is located off Ky. Highway 1694 at the Jefferson-Oldham county line. It is 1.2 miles north of Brownsboro Road, which is also known as Ky. Highway 22.