The Archdiocese of Louisville’s Vocation Office honored young altar servers Oct. 6 with a special prayer service and reception at the Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown Louisville.
Fifty-nine altar servers from 33 parishes were honored during the first Young Server Awards program. Earlier this year, the Vocation Office asked the area’s 110 parishes to nominate one or two servers in middle or high school.
“Servers are a blessing in our parish communities,” said a letter to parishes from the Vocation Office. “They provide assistance at Mass and they also set a good example for all those present in the assembly.”
The office intends to recognize servers annually. Parishes were asked to use the following criteria when nominating a server:
• Served at least one year.
• Shows dedication and care when serving.
• Willing to substitute when needed.
• Focused during the liturgy.
• Exhibits a leadership role when serving.
• Assists other servers and trains them if necessary.