St. Frances of Rome Church will conclude the nine-month-long celebration of its 125th anniversary with the dedication of an historical marker at 2 p.m. Oct. 28 at the church, 2119 Payne St. The marker will be officially dedicated after the parish’s 11:30 a.m. Mass.
It will be located immediately behind the stone wall that surrounds the parish parking lot, and will be near a tree at the lot’s entrance. On one side the marker will say: “St. Frances of Rome Church, Dedicated Oct. 2, 1887; Father Thomas White first pastor. Windows and organ from St. Mary’s Church, 1937. Organ built 1884. Larger church planned, not built. Expansion projects in 1910 and 1918. Renovated 1991.”
The other side will say: “Saint Frances of Rome, Francesca Romana 1384-1440. Wife, mother who served poorest of the poor. Inspired women to live pious, charitable life. 1425 began Oblates of Mary.
Founded 1433 the Oblates of St. Frances of Rome. Canonized 1608. Feast day March 9.”