By Kylie Wulff, Special to The Record
The Catholic Committee on Scouting honored more than 150 scouts and adult leaders at the annual Prayer Service and Emblem Presentation Jan. 28 at the Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown Louisville. Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz and Father Jeff Gatlin, chaplain for the committee, presided at the service.
Awards were presented to the following:
- Three adults received the St. George Emblem for their outstanding contributions to Catholic scouting. They are Kevin Ludwig of St. Edward Church, Miquel Mireles of Holy Spirit Church and Father Troy Overton, pastor of St. Edward.
- Twelve troops and packs were honored with the Pope Paul VI Quality Unit Award. The groups who received the Gold Award are Troop 4 of St. Agnes Church, Pack 157 of St. Rita Church, Troop 175 of St. Edward, Troop 243 of St. John Paul II Church, Troop 308 of St. Bernadette Church, Pack 366 of St. Athanasius Church, Troop 366 of St. Athanasius Church and Pack 380 of St. Patrick Church.
The troops that received the Silver awards are Troop 327 of St. Albert the Great Church and Pack 346 of St. Gabriel Church.
Bronze Awards were given to Pack 308 and Troop 308 of St. Bernadette.
- Eight Scouts received a Pillars of Faith pin presented to those who have earned all four religious emblems — Light of Christ, Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius XII. They are Matthew Whelan, Cameron Wuest, Patrick Harper, Alexander Hasty, Christopher Hasty, Jordan Sheff, Caleb Fraze and Waylon Metts.
- Thirteen Scouts received the Pope Pius XII Emblem. It was awarded to high school age Scouts in the following units:
Troop 4, St. Agnes: Paul Greenburg, Collin Helline, Peter Rolfe and Austin Webb.
Troop 308, St. Bernadette: Matthew Whelan and Cameron Wuest.
Troop 327, St. Albert the Great: Patrick Harper, Alexander Hasty, Christopher Hzasty, and Jordan Sheff.
Troop 346, St. Gabriel: Caleb Fraze, Eddy Fraze, Waylon Metts.
- Seventeen Scouts were presented with the Ad Altare Dei (To the Altar of God) Emblem. They are:
Troop 56, Fern Creek United Methodist: Parker Marks (St. Francis Xavier, Mt. Washington).
Troop 30, The Temple: Carter Schmitt (Holy Trinity) and Kaden Sullivan, Holy Spirit.
Troop 42, St. Raphael: Hal Deetsch, Cole Hoehler and Leo Miller.
Troop 175, St. Edward: Taylor Ludwig, Luke McArthur, Aidan Floyd-VanMeter, and Aidan Mangan (St. Agnes).
Troop 243, St. John Paul II: Braden Stuecker, John Warren, Samuel Wetzel and Zachary Young, all of St. Albert.
Troop 346, St. Gabriel: Parker Routt, Luke Sutton, and Kaleb Visse.
Troop 470, Simpsonville Christian Church: Nathan Borders (Epiphany) and Chane Evans (St. Michael).
Troop 765, St. Michael: Robby Hance, Daniel Harrison, Trevor McCray and James Teague.
Troop 776, St. Francis Xavier, Mt. Washington: Ben Collett and Trevor Hagel.
In addition, 30 Cub Scouts received the Parvuli Dei (Children of God) Emblem and 64 Cub Scouts received the Light of Christ Emblem.